South Beach Diet Phase 1
South Beach Diet phase 1 is the strictest but most effective one. You can lose up to 13 lbs in two weeks. The objective here is to put the insulin level under control and thus lose weight and eliminate the unhealthy cravings (for sweets, baked goods and food containing starches).
During Phase 1 six meals a day are allowed: three main meals and three snacks, based on protein, good fats and the lowest-glycemic index carbs needed for satisfaction and blood sugar control. The quantity will be enough to satisfy hunger — normal size meals.
- meat and nuts — tenderloin, sirloin, boiled ham, peanuts and pistachios,
- poultry — skinless chicken or turkey breasts, turkey bacon,
- all types of fish, whole eggs,
- fat-free cheeses,
- green vegetables, legumes — salad, tomatoes, zucchini, snow peas, cucumbers, broccoli, and asparagus,
- canola and olive oils,
- lots of water.
Foods to avoid
- meat beef rib steaks, honey-baked ham, breast of veal,
- all dairy products except low fat cheeses — all yoghurt, ice cream, milk including whole, low-fat, soy, and full fat cheeses,
- carbohydrate-laden vegetables — beets, carrots, corn, potatoes,
- fruits and fruit juices,
- all alcohol,
- all starchy foods such as bread, cereal, oatmeal, matzo, rice, pasta, pastries, baked goods, crackers, etc.
- sweets or sugar — candy, cake, cookies, ice cream
These foods will be reintroduced into your diet again after phase 1 (two weeks). During these weeks you will lose some weight and your body will use insulin more efficiently so that when the carbs will be re-introduced your body will be able to deal with them better.
You are here:
Home > basics > South Beach diet basics > South Beach diet plan > phase 1