Although not emphasising very much on exercise, Dr. Arthur Agatston states that the South Beach Diet complements very well with exercise for optimum, faster results.
Exercise helps the weight loss acceleration and improves your overall health, both physical and mental. It has the advantage to increase both serotonin and dopamine — which are the “feel good” or “happy” neurotransmitters in the brain — and affects other important systems as well. A successful diet and exercise work well together.
There are cardiovascular exercises — the type of exercise that would increase your heart rate to 60-85% its maximum rate (the fastest possible). These exercises will not only strengthen your heart and lungs and lower your blood pressure but will also burn calories and lower body fat. Other effects: increase metabolism, strengthen the immune system and lower the stress level.
Dr.Arthur Agatston recommends walking or other form of mild cardiovascular exercise as South Beach diet exercise. Other good examples of cardio activities are: running, swimming, biking, aerobics etc.
Tips for good exercise:
- It is advisable that, if you have any medical conditions or during pregnancy, you check with your doctor before beginning exercise.
- It is important to choose an activity that you enjoy so that you can do it with pleasure (e.g. walking would be fine for the beginning, since it does not require special equipment and can be done anywhere).
- Begin exercising with warm up (about 5 minutes) and stretch the muscles you'll use during your workout.
- Start slowly increasing gradually the intensity and duration of the exercise (you should be able to slowly increase your time up to 30 minutes).
- End each workout with cool down (about 5 minutes) to stretch the muscles you've worked, thus helping keep them flexible and reduce your chances of injury.
- Try new activities to avoid boredom.
- Whenever sore or tired take extra recovery days if needed.